Subject: Re: IPv6 MTU issues in FTTH applications

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:02:03 -0500

> over multiple Ethernet frames without
> using IPv6 packet fragmentation mechanisms.

One thing to remember is that IPv6 routers don't do fragmentation 
(RFC-2460, section 4.5).  If FTTH (sorry, I don't recognize the acronym) 
gets used mostly as a LAN technology, then you'll be increasing the size 
of the last-hop MTU without increasing the MTUs on intermediate hops, so 
you won't gain much.  Might be more important to preserve the 1500 byte 
MTU to make it easier to bridge to other types of Ethernet.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|===============================================================|
|"Baldric, how did you manage to find a turnip that cost 400,000|
|pounds?" "Well, I had to haggle." --Blackadder III             |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "Francois D. Menard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:59:57 -0500

FTTH = Fiber to the home...
> then you'll be 
> increasing the size 
The reason to increase the MTU anywhere in the network must originate
from the edge at some point in time.  802.3ah is the single most
important innovation in the edge of the network since G.983.  This is
why we have to start somewhere.  Why should all IPv6 stacks in the world
support 4 Gig MTU's if its never going to be used outside of
supercomputing labs?

F.