Subject: Re: Dynamic DNS at the 53rd IETF

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:54:00 -0500

>I don't ever recall anybody bothering to ask application developers 
whether 
>it was okay for DHCP servers (much less NATs) to break open connections.

This is a bit of a red herring--as actually implemented, most DHCP servers 
provide leases long enough that your IP number doesn't change unless you 
lose connectivity for a while, in which case the connection will usually 
break anyway.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|"You gotta learn to dance before you learn to crawl!" --|
|Meatloaf, "Everything Louder than Everything Else"      |
\========================================================/

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:36:52 +0000 (GMT)

> lose connectivity for a while, in which case the connection will usually

...and DHCP should give you back the same address afterwards.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:06:21 -0500

> > whether it was okay for DHCP servers (much less NATs) to break open 
> > connections.
> 

Many ISPs routinely use DHCP as an means to degrade their customers' 
address stability, forcing them change addresses as often as once a day,
in order to prevent their customers from running certain kinds of 
applications.

Keith