Subject: RE: Dynamic DNS at the 53rd IETF

From: "Peter Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:03:38 -0800

Given that a key technology in the v4 to v6 transition appears to be
tunneling, perhaps the ietf should consider the merits of ALL Internet
traffic between peers being tunneled in IP.  That way users can get IP
addresses from ISPs for their tunnels, and they could get IP addresses
from their name space providers (e.g. the registries or others). (ipae
wins!)

Clear delineation of roles and responsibilities is usually a good
starting point.   This is made challenging in a world where public and
private networks(e.g. corporate and/or home networks) co-exist and
interconnect.  Tunneling could be the winning technology ticket for
solving some of the thorny problems.

("when all else fails, add a level of indirection").

Cheers, peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Richardson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Dynamic DNS at the 53rd IETF 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Moore <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> we are hoping that this exercise will do the same for dynamic dns
    >> update with dhcp.

    Keith> I guess my question is how valuable this is.  As far as I can
tell,
    Keith> stable DNS names are of limited utility unless the underlying
IP 
    Keith> address(es) are also stable.  But the best way to find out is
to
    Keith> try it, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to do so.

  Again, we've had this discussion again and again - definitions of
stable
vary from anything less than a month is useless, to 20 minutes is
enough. 

  They key thing for me, if we can convince broadband operators that
they
want to do this is that ordinary users will have control over their
reverse
maps.  While PTR records might not be that sexy, KEY and KX records are!

]       ON HUMILITY: to err is human. To moo, bovine.           |
firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net
architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device
driver[
] panic("Just another NetBSD/notebook using, kernel hacking, security
guy");  [