Subject: Musical diversion with geek overtones

From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:56:49 -0800 (PST)

At the 14th IETF, in July 1989 at Stanford University, I organized a
demonstration and "tour" of the pipe organs of Staford Memorial Church.
The main attraction was and is the Charles B. Fisk organ, a mechanical
action instrument. The event was well attended, close to 100 people I
think, or about 50% of the entire IETF meeting attendees (those were the
days!) A great time was had by all.

I am in the process of setting up a similar event for the IETF in Yokohama.
(40 IETF meetings later). Right next door to Pacifico where the IETF will
meet, is a concert hall known as Minato Miral Hall. In it is a large and
magnificent mechanical action organ, also built by C. B. Fisk.

I hope to do this on July 15th from 1800 - 1900. I am lining up a couple of
organists and an organ builder to answer questions. It won't be a concert,
but you will get to hear some great music, and see the internal mechanical
"switch" that makes it all work. (It does have some electronic and
electrical assistance, I guess that makes it a hybrid kludge).

The purpose of this message is to gage your interest: would you attend such
an event? It's being considered for the "dinner hour", with some time left
over to grab a quick bite to eat before heading back for the evening
sessions. We will probably have the hall for longer than an hour, so those
who wish to stay behind and explore can do so. The hall can seat 2,020
people so I don't expect we will have a problem there, but the front 3 rows
will still be reseveved for those who have read the stop list, and can
explain what the term "Great to Swell" means.

But seriously, please reply (just to me) stating your interest.

Thanks, and apologies for the off-topic posting.

Ole

Links:

Stanford organ:

http://www.cbfisk.com/organs/op085_01.html

Yokohama organ:

http://www.cbfisk.com/organs/op110_01.html

http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/mmhall/about/pipe-e.html

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal
Office of the CTO, Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972
GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj