Subject: Re: Dynamic DNS at the 53rd IETF

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:38:10 -0500

>Many ISPs routinely use DHCP as an means to degrade their customers' 
>address stability, forcing them change addresses as often as once a day,
>in order to prevent their customers from running certain kinds of 
>applications.

Yeah, and others do the same thing by, say, having their firewalls block 
incoming connections to port 80.  That doesn't mean that firewalls 
shouldn't exist.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|===============================================================|
|"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word|
|processor." -- Neal Stephenson                                 |
\===============================================================/

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:06:49 -0500

> incoming connections to port 80.  That doesn't mean that firewalls

no, it means firewalls can be misused.  just like DHCP.

on the other hand IETF doesn't have a standard that says it's okay 
for firewalls to block port 80.  it does have a DHCP standard that 
says it's okay for DHCP servers to not renew leases.  

Keith