Subject: RE: PPP

From: Michel Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:52:31 -0500

Paul -

Yep! Didn't read closely enough. Layer 2 in the OSI Reference Model, top of
Layer 1 in TCP/IP - except for all of the places it appears elsewhere! :)

How's THAT for clarity?

/Michel

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Day [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 10:49 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: PPP

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Michel Gilbert wrote:
> It is essentially a Data Link Layer protocol, operating at Layer 2.

Bill was after where it fits into the TCP/IP model. I think you've got
that mixed up with the OSI model? :)

Layer 2 under the TCP/IP model is the "Internet" layer, which corresponds
to layer 3, "Network", of the OSI model.

If we want to get picky though, you could say PPP overlaps layer 1 and 2
of the TCP/IP model, so saying "Layer 2" isn't incorrect, but by using the
term "Data Link" as opposed to "Internet" fot layer 2 makes me think
you're referring of the OSI model.

*Back in his box now*

PD

-- 
Paul Day     Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire

---

From: Paul Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:07:51 +0800 (WST)

> Layer 1 in TCP/IP - except for all of the places it appears elsewhere! :)

Ha ha - clear as mud, but probably spot on. Soon we'll have PPP making our
coffees.

PD