Subject: Re: about certificate?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:09:08 EDT

>Take a look at RFC 1422.  May give you some insite on
>certificates. 
thanks for the reference which i'm looking on right now. 

> First off, have you taken a look at
>your browser settings for certificates?  Take a look
>at that
i configured my browser to detect such pbs because i do shop on the net and  
i need to evaluate the credibility of any claimed site identity. sometimes, 
there are sites telling us that all transactions with their server are secure 
(over SSL 128 Bits); but a deep look shows that they still use revocated or 
invalid certificates. how far can anyone trust these claims?  because if i 
didn't configure my browser in such a way i'll not get these informations and 
then continue shopping and provide my credit card number,... 

for e-mail security (PEM: discussed in depth in RFC 1422) i usually use PGP 
and i've not experienced any pbs till now.

-------------------------------------
Omar Djaiz
Networking student at Ecole Polytechnique of Montreal - CA

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:34:52 -0600

[email-masked] wrote:

> ...i configured my browser to detect ...

One big commercial browser and E-Mail tool is busted and
they have a bug in revocation checking. (not sure which versions)

Sometimes sites forget to update their certificates.

I think the reason that these bugs have existed for so
long is that a higher percentage of sites are starting
to use certificates.

---

From: "Gary E. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:50:06 -0700 (PDT)

Yo Omar!

You are worrying about the wrong things.  Hackers do not bother to steal
CC#s off the net one at a time.  They break in to Amazon and take 30,000
at a time.  At least in the US your liability for stolen CC info is US$50.

So check your statements carefully and let the folks with the real
risk worry about it.

RGDS
GARY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Blvd, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email-masked]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 [email-masked] wrote:

> i need to evaluate the credibility of any claimed site identity.