Subject: XML Configuration BOF at IETF54

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:56:46 -0400

There will be a BOF on the subject of XML network configuration held
at IETF54 in Yokohama.  A more detailed description is attached below.

Margaret

  XML Configuration BOF [xmlconf]
  ===============================

  Chair: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

  Description:

  There is significant interest in the use of XML-based technologies
  to manage and configure IP-based networks and networking equipment.
  This BOF will discuss the high-level requirements for a network
  configuration mechanism, and will explore how the existing
  proprietary and standards-based XML technologies, such SOAP, WBEM
  and SyncML, could be used to meet those requirements.  Based on
  that discussion, we will determine whether we should pursue any
  IETF work in this area.

  Agenda:

           - Goals for and XML Configuration Protocol
           - Requirements for Network Configuration
                   - Quick presentation of strawman
                   - Discussion
           - Existing Technologies
                   - Overview Presentation
                           - Proprietary Mechanisms
                           - SOAP
                           - WBEM
                           - SyncML
                   - Applicability to requirements
           - Discuss Need for IETF Work

  We expect to have two drafts available by the -00 cut-off date that
  attendees should read before the meeting.  One will provide a survey
  of existing XML management technologies, and the other will serve
  as a strawman for the requirements discussion.

---

From: "Craig & Nancy Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:01:01 -0400

All--

I've got to ask this.  When I was doing research on this subject (XML
stuff), I came across BOF and wanted to know what it was.  Well, I found it
here:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2418.txt

...in the table of contents @ 2.4.

Here is the general explanation:

2.4

   A BOF is a session at an IETF meeting which permits "market research"
   and technical "brainstorming".  Any individual may request permission
   to hold a BOF on a subject. The request MUST be filed with a relevant
   Area Director who must approve a BOF before it can be scheduled. The
   person who requests the BOF may be asked to serve as Chair of the
   BOF.

...beginning of page 9

   In general, a BOF on a particular topic is held only once (ONE slot
   at one IETF Plenary meeting). Under unusual circumstances Area
   Directors may, at their discretion, allow a BOF to meet for a second
   time. BOFs are not permitted to meet three times.  Note that all
   other things being equal, WGs will be given priority for meeting
   space over BOFs.  Also, occasionally BOFs may be held for other
   purposes than to discuss formation of a working group.

Just curious......

Thanks everyone.

Craig Williams

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Margaret Wasserman
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 10:57 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: XML Configuration BOF at IETF54

Margaret

  Description:

  Agenda:

---

From: "Craig & Nancy Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:09:24 -0400

......where does BOF come from?  I understand the meaning but why is it used
here?

Thanks.

Craig Williams

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Craig
& Nancy Williams
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 11:01 PM
To: Margaret Wasserman; [email-masked]
Subject: Birds of a feather (BOF). Use to be: RE: XML Configuration BOF
at IETF54

All--

2.4

...beginning of page 9

Just curious......

Thanks everyone.

Craig Williams

-----Original Message-----

Margaret

  Description:

  Agenda:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:21:51 -0400

> ......where does BOF come from?  I understand the meaning but why is it used

A bunch of techies all interested in XML at the same place at the same time
would probably be considered a flock together of birds of a feather, no?

I think the usage dates back at least as far as early SHARE/GUIDE/COMMON
meetings - Eric Raymond's Jargon File has an entry saying it dates to
SHARE in the early 60s, but I suspect it goes back to the IBM7094 in the
late 50s...

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/BOF.html

If anybody has better etymology on the term, please let Eric know. ;)
-- 
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
				Virginia Tech

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:28:40 +0100 (BST)

> ......where does BOF come from?  I understand the meaning but why is it used

Birds of a Feather flock together.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><[email-masked]>