Subject: postings to ietf mailing lists

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:31:25 +0300

i have noticed that some ietf working groups don't anymore allow
postings except from addresses that have subscribed to the list.  this
not good unless there is a way to register another email address from
which postings are allowed.  the reason is that many people don't want
to get any mailing list traffic to their personal mail boxes and
therefore have subscribed an alias rather than their own personal email
address.

could it be made a policy of ietf mailing lists to include support for a
posting address that is not the same as subscription address?  some
mailing lists already do this, but not all.

-- juha

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:06:08 -0700

At 05:31 AM 2002-06-12, [email-masked] wrote:
>postings except from addresses that have subscribed to the list.

The IESG has made two statements which are applicable here:
  http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt
  http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/moderated-lists.txt

If a WG list is not adhering to these guidelines, I suggest you
voice your concerns to the WG chair.  If you don't get satisfaction,
escalate to their AD, ...

Kurt

---

From: "Bill Strahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:15:07 -0700

Can't say about other maillist software, but the software that runs the
@ietf.org lists allows this, you can subscribe from as many addresses as
you want, and only get mail sent to a single address...

This works well for people that can't control what their company does as
far as @foo.company.com where foo seems to change quite a bit...

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 5:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: postings to ietf mailing lists

-- juha

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:01:42 -0400

> you want, and only get mail sent to a single address...

Hi,

	Someone here should at least mention that the IETF Secretariat
is generally willing to host official IETF WG mailing lists @ietf.org.
This was implied by the quoted text above, but isn't explicitly
documented
anyplace I can find.  An increasing number of WGs are hosting lists
there.

	I don't know the Secretariat's processes, but if some WG Chair wanted
an official IETF WG list to live @ietf.org, the logical first step would
be
a gentle enquiry with the IETF Secretariat.

	Last comment is that, after some discussion among IAB + IESG about
IETF mailing lists last Summer, I wrote up a strawman draft on "IETF
Mailing List Customs".   My understanding is that Jim Galvin is the
current document editor for that, though I'm not sure because I'm
not tracking that item closely these days.  (No point asking me for
a copy of the strawman, because I no longer have a copy).

	<opinion> I do think we ought to at least document current
IETF mailing list practices in a BCP RFC. </opinion>

Cheers,

Ran
[email-masked]