Subject: IESG review of RFC Editor documents - take 2

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:43:50 -0700

The following draft is in large measure based on reading the discussions on 
the IESG list.

Two important notes:

1) It is not *possible* to write a document that everyone agrees with. This 
draft is based on a considered judgment of what's best for the IETF, after 
reading and thinking about all your comments. Thank you!

2) There are important parts of the RFC publication process that are NOT 
described here, because they are outside of IESG scope, such as the 
criteria and the review mechanisms the RFC Editor uses, or indeed whether 
independent submissions should be published or not. These are proper 
material for discussion with the RFC Editor, the IAB and the NEWTRK WG. But 
their omission from this document is NOT an accident.

Unless this document is found fatally flawed in some way, I intend to ask 
for a 4-week Last Call for BCP this week.

Thank you all for your review, and keep them coming!

                             Harald

--------------------------------------------------------------------
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Engineering Steering Group 
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The IESG and RFC Editor documents: Procedures
	Author(s)	: H. Alvestrand
	Filename	: draft-iesg-rfced-documents-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2004-4-9
	
This document gives the IESG's procedures for handling documents
   submitted for RFC publication via the RFC Editor, subsequent to the
   changes proposed by the IESG at the Seoul IETF, March 2004.

   NOTE IN DRAFT: These guidelines are proposed, not adopted. Comments
   are welcome - please send them to [email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-rfced-documents-01.txt