Subject: Changes to IETF-announce - archive missing?

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:44:52 +0100

I understand that IETF-announce details are being changed.

It appears that in the process, at least some of the message archives have 
disappeared from the Web.  Specifically, Google gave me this URI:
   http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf-announce/Current/msg27131.html
(So I guess it must have existed at some time), but I cannot access it now 
-- I get a response indicating "The page you are looking for cannot be found".

The Google search was this:
   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-07.txt&btnG=Google+Search

Having pages disappear from the Web somewhat reduces the Web's 
value:  while recognizing that pages at URIs *can* disappear, the value of 
the Web is much enhanced if they don't, and particularly for email archives 
where a URI is the easiest and most effective way to refer to a specific 
message, so I think it's really worth administering mailing lists in such a 
way that URIs remain persistently dereferencable.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact