Subject: Presentation on IP address shortage

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:05:42 -0500

I'm looking for a reasonably recent presentation on the state of IP  
address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

Thanks.

Henning
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Daniel Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:16:13 -0500

> address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

    Presumably you're talking about IPv4 (and the imminent need to
adopt IPv6).  Some decent articles and papers - some of which I've
cited in my own work - are as follows:
        http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_8-3/ipv4.html
        http://www.apnic.net/news/2007/0626.html
        http://lacnic.net/en/anuncios/2007_agotamiento_ipv4.html
        http://www.arin.net/announcements/20070521.html

-- 
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:17:30 +0100

> address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

See: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

or for a 'recent' presentation:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-55/presentations/huston-ipv4.pdf

also google(geoff huston ppt ipv4 prediction) or google(tony hain ppt 
ipv4 prediction), permutate with pdf ;)

Greets,
  Jeroen

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:22:34 -0500

> address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

If you're looking for source material rather than slideware, I imagine  
there is no more up-to-date reference than

   http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/

(which is updated daily).

Joe

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:46:29 +0100

> address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

If you're interested in the raw data but not so raw that you need to  
download and convert it yourself, have a look at:

http://www.bgpexpert.com/addrspace2007.php
http://www.bgpexpert.com/addrspace.php

And, as of very recently:

http://www.bgpexpert.com/addrspace-ipv6.php

Email me if you have any questions.
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Frank Solensky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:53:48 -0500

I can try pulling something together based on some of the numbers from
the messages that followed... When would you need them?

---

From: Lucy Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:32:37 -0800 (PST)

> address allocation that would be suitable for a class I'm teaching.

Henning -

Duane Wessels of The Measurement Factory has created some
great maps of current v4 allocations:

http://maps.measurement-factory.com/

and he kindly provides the heatmap software if you want a hands
on the data project:

http://maps.measurement-factory.com/software/index.html

For example, Roy Arends did some (insanely fun) additional work for the 
last IEPG:

http://www.iepg.org/2007-12-ietf70/3dheatmaps.pdf

- Lucy