Subject: IPv6 @ IETF-71, especially Jabber

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:34:41 +0100

What's going on with the preparations to turn off IPv4 at IETF-71?  
It's been really quiet surrounding that topic since the initial  
discussion.

Because I've had an IPv6 mail server for years and a WWW proxy that  
allows IPv6-only hosts to get access to the IPv4 web is fairly trivial  
to set up (tip for XP users: XP can't do DNS lookups over IPv6, use  
Firefox and configure it with the IPv6 address of the proxy), my  
preperation for this has been mostly getting Jabber to work over IPv6.

A while ago I managed to find a public Jabber server that is reachable  
over IPv6 (amessage.de with some other domains pointing to the same  
server). Unfortunately, the client I generally use, Apple's iChat,  
does support Jabber over IPv6 when there is IPv4 connectivity, but  
when the system has no IPv4 address it says that "you're not connected  
to the internet" and doesn't try to connect over IPv6. Recently I  
thought this was fixed but it turned out that the Parallels Desktop  
virtualization enviroment sets up a bunch of virtual interfaces with  
private addresses, which is enough for iChat to work over IPv6.

Anyway, I started looking for Jabber clients that support IPv6. Most  
don't, but there are so many Jabber clients that there is actually a  
choice of ones that do. Unfortunately, none of them could connect to  
the jabber.ietf.org rooms. I first thought this was because of the  
clients, so I didn't keep a list of clients that support IPv6. But it  
turned out that this is a problem with my iljitsch at amessage.nl  
account on the amessage.de server, which doesn't seem IPv6-related.

So... does anyone know a place to obtain a Jabber account that's  
usable over IPv6? I assumed psg.com would be a good candidate, but  
even though psg.com has a AAAA record, jabber.psg.com doesn't.
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:45:29 -0500

Iljitsch raises an interesting point that I'll generalize: can we  
maximize the learning by identifying specific applications to target  
for IPv6 compatibility during the IPv4 eclipse?

- Ralph

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:17:56 +0100

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 03:34:41PM +0100,
 Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]> wrote 

> It's been really quiet surrounding that topic since the initial

Because IPv6-only events are already banal?

http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:27:42 -0500

Hi,

To the basic question of the IPv4 outage -- preparations are
indeed underway, to implement it as Russ described on 12/22/2007[1].

Early next week, there will be a wiki page accessible specifically
for our event, providing more detail and more pointers.  In the
meantime, if you have specific comments, you can send comments to
the team Russ set up[2].

In the meantime, NANOG and APRICOT have had similar events.  You
can see some of the data captured here:

http://www.civil-tongue.net/grandx/

and some writeups:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/25276
http://www.circleid.com/posts/82283_ipv6_hour_ipv4_switched_off/

Leslie.

[1]
[On December 22, 2007, Russ Housley wrote:]
> Following the mail list discussion, we have considered several different
> configurations for achieving the desired network experiment environment.
> It is important that everyone have adequate opportunity for advance
> configuration, and it is important that severe impact on other network
> resources at the meeting venue be avoided.  With these goals in mind, we
> intend to add an additional IPv6-only subnet, with a different SSID on
> the wireless network.  The SSID will include some clever name that
> includes the string "v6ONLY".  This SSID will be available on all the
> wireless access points throughout the venue for the entire week.
> Everyone is encouraged to try using this network well before the plenary
> session.  Neighbors and friends are encouraged to help each other debug
> problems, and the kind folks at the help desk in the Terminal Room will
> also be happy to assist with any configuration challenges, IPv6-related
> or otherwise.

[2] [email-masked]

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
IETF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Lucy Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:31:13 -0800 (PST)

> Because IPv6-only events are already banal?

Hardly that. My understanding is that the IETF experiment is designed to 
give additional experience with configuration options as the NANOG 
and Apricot events were focused on v6only and v4v6 via NAT-PT.

We're still learning new things with each v6 hour and I (for one) hope to 
see these experiments carried out in a number of venues as the "real 
world" experience helps inform on-going work.

> http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/

see:
http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/wiki/APRICOT2008-Handout
http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/wiki/APRICOT2008-Lessons

for some the the details of the last go-round.

- Lucy