Subject: Re: [lemonade] RFC 4146 on Simple New Mail Notification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:30:28 +0100

Hi Randy, All

I almost hesitate to enter this discussion, being far less knowledgeable
about internet mail than the other contributors - nevertheless I do know
something about mobile messaging, so... ;-)

On the face of it I agree that there is an attractiveness to a simple
lightweight notification protocol - indeed OMA has already defined one of
these for mobile email (I know Lemonade is not only about mobile access,
but that does seem to be its main focus at present).

However, there is also a strong argument for the advantages of a slightly
more powerful (though still 'light') solution (which is why OMA is
currently viewing what it has already defined as not really satisfactory).
An important option for mobile email users is the opportunity to control
the notification/pull process by deciding on which emails they want to
retrieve and which they don't (particularly price-sensitive users like the
consumer email segment). In order for users to make intelligent decisions
about this it may be desirable to be able to provide them with some
additional information in the notification - for example the sender and
subject.

I realise that this may have security implications, but I don't believe
that these should prove insurmountable - particularly for the consumer
market where a lower level of security (than for corporate email) may be
perfectly acceptable..? I'm afraid that's where I'd have to throw it over
to your expertise on how such a solution might be made as secure as
possible :-)

Cheers

Andy P
________________________________________________________________________

Andy Pearson  |  Director of Product Strategy   |   OZ

T:  +44 (151) 281 4326   |   F: +44 (8707) 62 62 65   |   M: +44 (7879) 416
609   |   E: [email-masked]

www.oz.com

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Randall Gellens |
|         |           <randy@qualcomm.|
|         |           com>            |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           lemonade-bounces|
|         |           @ietf.org       |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           22/08/2005 21:00|
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                    |
  |        To:      Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>                                                              |
  |        cc:      Lemonade <[email-masked]>                                                                       |
  |        Subject: Re: [lemonade] RFC 4146 on Simple New Mail Notification                                            |
  |                                                                                                                    |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

At 8:54 AM -0700 8/22/05, Mark Crispin wrote:

>  a bit more capable than the RFC 4146 protocol.

Not hard to do.

>  I should emphasize the lightweight design and intent of this
> protocol.  I believe that it is important for notification to be
> trivial enough that nobody would mind adding it once there is a
> notification protocol.  That is also the attraction of RFC 4146.

I'd agree with this.

--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
A logician saves the life of a space alien and is rewarded with
an offer to answer any question.  After a thought he asks: What
is the best question to ask and the correct answer to it?  After
a brief panic the alien consults her computer and says: The best
question to ask is the one you just did and the correct answer
to it is the one I gave.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade