Subject: Re: [lemonade] Outside the box suggestion about Lemonade

From: Stephane Maes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:59:45 -0600

Marc,

Based on the suggestions that we have received so far, we will publish a proposed update. We are looking at smtp proxy options.

Note that LDELIVER contributes also in supporting server side recomposition with upload of only body / header part diffs. I am not sure that tunneling would allow this. But I am looking into it.

Thanks

Stephane

PS I still have an action item to provide the use cases / reasons / pros of using it. I will distribute soon on the list.
_____
Stephane H. Maes, PhD,
Director of Architecture - RTCC & Mobile, Oracle Corporation.
Ph: +1-203-300-7786 (mobile/SMS); Fax / UM: +1-650-607-6296.
e-mail: [email-masked]
IM: shmaes (AIM, Y!,Skype) or [email-masked] (MSN Messenger) 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu Aug 18 08:41:10 2005
Subject: [lemonade] Outside the box suggestion about Lemonade

Hello,

I'm Marc Perkel - and I'm new to this list. I run a span filtering 
service called junkemailfiltercom and do some web hosting.

I've read sme of the discussion about LDELIVER and I just wanted to 
throw out a wild idea and see where it goes.

The Problem: Sending email without having to separately config outgoing 
SMTP so that an IMAP connection can be used especially by moble users to 
send email.

So - suppose that instead of adding something complex - why not just 
establish a tunnel to SMTP over IMAP?

Here's what I propose. The client when sending email would establish a 
second IMAP connection to the server. One of the CAPABILITIES will be 
SMTP-TUNNEL. After sending the command the IMAP server opens a 
connection to the SMTP server and acts as a straight pipe through until 
the connection is closed.

The advantage of this is that you can take your existing SMTP code and 
instead of connecting it on port 25 you connect it on port 143. Then 
everything you could do with SMTP is available. You would just need to 
add a smal layer to the SMTP layer to authenticate to the IMAP server 
and tell it to open a tunnel to the SMTP server. On the server side you 
just connect to localhost:25 or whatever you configure it to and pass data.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that IMAP act as a tunnel to SMTP 
providing and authenticated connection using the same credentials as the 
imap client uses.

Unless I'm missing something - and I might be - seems to me this would 
be dirt simple to implement and wouldn't impose any of the limitations 
to the SMTP protocol that other people here are concerned about.

Who likes this idea?

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade